Here at Omiana, we pride ourselves on offering an array of USA-crafted formulas, such a pure array that you are sure to find a perfect go-to formula - or a whole makeup bag full of formulas.
Talc-Free, Without Parabens, Titanium Dioxide-Free, Gluten-Free, & More...
While we wish a magic formula existed that was perfect for everyone's skin type, tone, and needs, we all have different ingredient requirements, preferences, and even ingredient beliefs.
Browse our product ingredients all in one place for your reference, or, when you view a product, the product description also offers fully disclosed ingredients. The Omiana ingredient glossary is another excellent resource for your ingredient research.
Omiana is a brand rife with hypoallergenic natural makeup, including options without coconut oil, titanium dioxide, butter, waxes, mica, boron nitride, and more. Omiana is crafted to be gentle on even the most sensitive, reactive skin, omitting ingredients such as fragrance, parabens, talc, gluten, and much more. While we all have different ingredient needs and preferences, Omiana surely has a formula - or many formulas - perfect for you!
From source to shelf, Omiana ingredients are cruelty-free, never tested on animals: Omiana is certified by both PETA and Leaping Bunny. Our team is comprised of animal-lovers, young parents, veterans, and students from across the globe. While appreciative of our humble roots, Omiana is not crafting makeup in a kitchen or under questionable sanitary conditions: we manufacture as stringently as if handling food, abiding by and striving to exceed good manufacturing practices out of three GMP-upholding USA locations.
Regarding non-comedogenic makeup and even "chemical-free makeup," a concept that is often thrown around too frequently, there are no regulated testing methods to make formulas qualify. At Omiana, we encourage discovering which ingredients your skin loves and which truly bother: what clogs one person's pores or makes someone react may be wonderfully moisture-imparting or nourishing to another: You've surely also noted that we can react to seemingly "good" ingredients: finding the formulas for your skin is a journey, indeed, and we are honored to be a part of it.
1 | We're 100% Cruelty-Free
Omiana is cruelty-free and does NOT test on animals. We're proud to be certified by PETA and Leaping Bunny! Leaping Bunny leads the cruelty-free makeup standard and holds certified companies accountable. PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has certified Omiana as cruelty-free as part of their commitment to preventing animal cruelty and testing; PETA is one of the most recognized organizations focused on stopping animal testing and abuse.
We're huge animal lovers and life wouldn't be the same without their companionship and connection. Our staff have rescued furry friends of all sizes and many volunteer with animal shelters, wildlife rescue, and habitat cleanup and restoration.
2 | We're All-Natural & Vegan
Don't be fooled by the word 'natural,' as it gets misused greatly. In fact, there is no regulation or testing necessary for companies to utilize the word "natural" in their marketing efforts. Many brands even use the word "organic" in their brand name or mantra without any groundwork beyond that. Think about how many companies are using green colors, leaves in their logos, and so much more just to tap into your psyche and try to get you to believe they're 'natural' and 'safe.'
We are privately-held and choose to direct our attention on being as fully transparent for you as we can possibly be, continuing to add more shades and various formulas to the repertoire so you have ample options to choose from, disclosing every last ingredient for you, so you can discern for yourself how pure Omiana products are. Here is a page with the ingredients all one place for your reference, or, when you view a product, the product description also offers fully disclosed ingredients for the product being viewed. Also, here is a list of ingredients we avoid for you, although it doesn't stop there!
Most of Omiana’s formulas are vegan (although you will see beeswax in a few formulas). In the formulas with beeswax, note that we source it kosher: our beeswax harvesting processes is cruelty-free. The beeswax cultivating process protects the bees' normal production cycle. (If needing to avoid non-vegan ingredients such as beeswax, view a collection and use the filter to filter more ingredients or lifestyle preferences.)
3 | We're Certified Organic
We definitely use ingredients that are organic (or at least non-GMO) when we can -- but many mineral makeup ingredients are INorganic (not agricultural), so the term 'organic' does not apply when they're not ingredients that are grown (therefore pesticides, herbicides, GMOs, and the like, are not applicable to such mineral ingredients). Some of our ingredients don't have the official 'organic' testing done, but are cultivated in the manner that would still earn them that certification -- it's just a matter of our suppliers not getting the official certification yet on a few ingredients. We do aim to have overall organic certification on applicable formulas soon. Read more about our evaluation of organic vs. "organic" as related to beauty and personal care products today.
We're Ingredient Smart for a Reason.
Many makeup--even 'mineral makeup' brands—contain irritating ingredients! We are your leader in titanium dioxide-free makeup, mica-free makeup, among many other ingredients. We're always free of nanos, carmine, talc, bismuth, and more!
Makeup without common mineral makeup ingredients is our speciality! We offer many formulas for you, from mica-free options, titanium dioxide-free options, boron nitride-free options, ultramarine-free options, and we never use nanoparticles, carmine, coal tar, propylene glycol, chemical SPF, and more!
Many come to Omiana because they know we offer formulas without a specific ingredient - needing makeup without titanium dioxide, without mica, without both mica and titanium dioxide, without corn ingredients, etc. We always shun bismuth oxychloride, propylene glycol, chromium greens, nanoparticles, parabens, tin oxide, animal-tested ingredients and products, and a slew of other potentially noxious ingredients found in many mineral makeup lines. Whatever your ingredient omission preferences are, we surely have a range of products you will love. Use the filtering tool to easily filter-out ingredients sometimes in Omiana products.
Purely Natural Makeup for All Skin Types, Even the Most Sensitive: Our Mission? Omission.™
We don't just say "natural" beauty for the sake of marketing. When we say natural, we mean taking out toxic ingredients as well as any that are 'iffy.' We omit ingredients that many other mineral lines wouldn't think to omit because some women have allergies to very specific ingredients and/or some are incredibly privy to studies on some of the downsides of traditional mineral makeup ingredients.
Some Makeup and Beauty Products Are TOXIC!
Has makeup — maybe even mineral makeup — made your skin itch? Do you have little bumps? Straight-up allergies? Simply health-savvy? That expensive mineral makeup with argan oil / great reviews / "pure" in the brand's name / full coverage / pretty packaging might totally be irritating —if not endangering —you. In fact, many lines use irritating bismuth oxychloride, which is related to arsenic, nano-sized coated titanium dioxide (CI 77891), other nanoparticles (many ingredients can be in nano-form, from iron oxides to ultramarines. Most brands do not know what size their particles are), and other ingredients Omiana shuns. In a nutshell, here's why you've clearly got some epic taste in mineral makeup and beauty products:
1. Few lines exist with so few pure, non-toxic, meticulously sourced ingredients, with so many mica-free and titanium dioxide-free options (along with bismuth oxychloride, talc, nanoparticles, carmine, tin oxide, gluten, and so forth. The list of what we shun is a long one, touched upon below).
2. There are a few 'pure' mineral makeup lines out there who are saying '[+/- CI 77891, CI77491, CI 77492, CI 77499]' —which can include titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxides, and ultramarines. We prefer to list the standard ingredient nomenclature along with required INCI naming then to try to confuse our savvy consumer base with fancy jargon.
3. Omiana uses high-micron particles / the largest particle size we can for a specific formula (that is, large particles that, unlike nanoparticles common to many mineral lines, sit on the skin and do not alter DNA).
4. All Omiana formulas and the individual ingredients comprising them are cruelty-free; we and our suppliers would never test on animals! Additionally, most of our products are vegan; the only that are not are those with ethically sourced, cruelty-free beeswax.
Let's Talk Fragrance-Free.
Omiana's natural cosmetics are always fragrance-free: our customers have reactive, sensitive skin and/or are incredibly ingredient-smart and health-conscious; they do not want synthetic fragrances. Fragrance, also known as perfume, parfum, essential oil blends, and by other names, potentially, is known to contain noxious allergens and irritants and is especially concerning for those with skin conditions such as eczema, rosacea, during pregnancy - the list goes on!
Here's the thing: formulations can be without fragrance but still be formulated with plenty of no-go, toxic ingredients. On the other hand, some super pure, clean formulas can still contain fragrance, whether they disclose it or not! Be sure you dissect every ingredient deck carefully and that you do your due diligence on the company (as fragrance is not always disclosed - we'll elaborate below). Beyond that, be sure you are shopping brands that fully disclose every last ingredient. Read this snippet, straight from the Federal Department of Agricultural site:
Even some products labeled “unscented” may contain fragrant ingredients. This is because the manufacturer may add just enough fragrance to mask the unpleasant smell of other ingredients, without giving the product a noticeable scent. [source]
Did you register that? Even some products that don't put off a fragrant smell might have fragrance - just to mask the otherwise off-putting smell that would have arisen from the formula!
Why do so many products out there contain fragrances?
Other than masking a formula's original smell, people and companies know that scent has a strong tie-in to memory development and good smells make for good associations; for example, have you ever smelled something and it triggered a memory? Have you ever caught whiff of someone who smells amazing and - inadvertently, perhaps - awarded them some bonus points on the attraction front? There's a psychology underlying good smells.
While the individual constituents of a fragrance might not concern someone or bother them, safety hazards can exist, and that's typically enough in of itself to make our savvy customers say No. Thank. You. Phthalates, for example, can be within fragrance. Musks, in natural form, are secretions from animals; when synthetic, like many synthetic fragrance ingredients, they're likely endocrine disruptors. The list goes on yet again!
One other warning point: cosmetics companies can register sets of ingredients to get "trade secret" status. This is a way to offer umbrella protection coverage to a portion of a formula and not have to disclose it to the public. Fragrance can very well fall into a trade secret and not make its way to the ingredient label. Shopping cosmetics, in-store or online, is no small task. Ca′veat emp′tor!
Fragrance-free beauty products can still smell.
You read that right, and, when you think about it, it's only common sense:
Your nose and sensory systems perceive an aroma from everything. Your skin, your hair, the fruit at the back of your fridge, the almond flour in the pantry . . . good skincare and makeup formulas are no exception. They can contain antioxidant-rich ingredients that may impart aroma; oils that certainly carry their unique aromas; and essential oils and extracts that provide natural preservation properties and impart aroma. Another caveat, though, is to understand that anyone can be sensitive to anything: even a straight-up non-toxic rated ingredient can make one person react but be pure perfection for another. Something you didn't react to last year might be a huge catalyst for you now; our bodies are dynamic, ever-changing, and sometimes we develop tolerance cut-offs in this toxic-laden world.
The main takeaways
- Fragrance can be in toxic formulas as well as those regarded as "clean";
- Just because a formula does not have fragrance does not mean it's inherently "clean," either;
- Products that don't put off a fragrance can still have fragrance: sometimes it's in a formula to counteract an off-putting formula smell;
- Formulas can appear fragrance-free yet have trade secret status, wherein the fragrance didn't have to be disclosed since a part of the "trade secret";
- Even without synthetic fragrance, formulas will have an aroma.
Omiana does not use synthetic fragrances. Naturally, ingredients mixed together will emit an aroma: the below products are those that emit the least amount of aroma, even, and our customers who are most sensitive to any-and-every smell love Omiana's pure choices!
Choose your Omiana products knowing they're without the following:
- Acrylates Copolymer
- Animal Testing
- Beeswax (only a few products)
- Boron Nitride options
- Butylene Glycol
- Cera Alba (see Beeswax; in only a few products)
- Cocamide Mea
- Coal Tar
- Coated particles
- Cornstarch - except in this product
- C13-14 Isoparaffin
- DEA-Related Ingredients
- Diazolidinyl Urea
- Dibutyl Phthalate
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Dimethicone - except the Tan Pressed Matte Bronzer
- Dimethicone Copolyol
- Dipropylene Glycol
- Disodium EDTA
- Dm Hydantoin
- Emulsifying Wax, Emulsifying Wax NF
- Essential Oils (only a few Omiana products contain them)
- FD&C Blue 1
- FD&C Red 40
- FD&C Yellow 5 - except for the Redness Concealer Cream
- Ferric Ferrocyanide
- Formaldehyde-Releasing Preservatives (look for DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methenamine, Quarternium-15, specifically)
- Fragrance, even from essential oils; essential oils are in only a few products
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
- Gluten (If there is ever a trace amount, we will disclose so in the product description.
- Glycine Soja (see Soybean)
- Homosalate (HMS)
- Mica-Free Options
- Parfum (see Synthetic Fragrance)
- Petrolatum and Petroleum-Based Ingredients
- Phenyl Trimethicone
- Propylene Glycol
- Silica is in only a few products
- Siloxanes (look for “-siloxane” or “-methicone”)
- Sodium Acrylate
- Sodium Chloride
- Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Soy (see Glycine Soja) (If there is ever a trace amount, we will disclose so in the product description.
- Synthetic Preservatives
- Synthetic Emulsifiers
- Synthetic Fragrances (see Parfum)
- Tetrasodium EDTA
- Titanium Dioxide-Free Options
- Tocopheryl Acetate-Free Options (learn more about how to vet through products with tocopheryl acetate via this blog article!)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
- Trisodium EDTA
- Ultramarine-free options; only a few Omiana products contain ultramarines to achieve specific undertones
- Vanillyl Butyl Ether
- Zea Mays (Cornstarch) this and this are the only formulas with anything corn
- Zinc Oxide-Free Options (albeit we have many zinc oxide-based formulations)
- Zinc Stearate
- 4-Methyl-Benzylidencamphor (4-MBC)
- ... plus thousands of ingredients beyond what is listed that Omiana avoids to make the best formulas for sensitive skin, allergy, and health-focused needs!